Frequently Asked Questions
Click “Empower Friends” in the upper left section of your PocketChange Profile or copy this link get-pocketchange.com and share it!
We select world class charities based on: financial efficiency, sustainable impact, approach diversity, scaling focus, and total transparency. (More info)
We have developed an extensive research process to efficiently go through thousands of charities focused on a specific cause, and pick the ‘best’ charity impacting that world problem at the root. We have 71 enabled on our platform. (Selected Charities)
We use the payment processor Stripe, used by millions of companies across the world, so all payments are 100% secure!
When you click “PocketChange it”, you will be ‘pledging’ your donation to the causes you selected with your set donation amount. They will get grouped, reducing fees by 54% which you can see from your profile. Once your profile reaches $5, it is transferred to PocketChange. PocketChange then distributes your donations to the causes/charities you chose to support. Stripe charges a 30¢ and 2.9% fee to initiate this $5 payment.
Your account will automatically transfer over any amounts after 60 days. This allows us to recognize all contributions while ensuring the fees remain very low.
PocketChange takes 0%. Instead, we partner with socially aligned brand sponsors to give them an opportunity to engage with users around a cause to build a genuine relationship. The brand can choose a cause they are passionate about and pledge to match donations towards that cause, or fill your account with. Credit card fees still apply. (More info)
Not yet. We are currently a google chrome extension so we can integrate across any site a user is engaged with online. We have a mobile version in development as well as use on Alexa.
Our technology predicts the causes that person might be talking about, and attaches the #1 charity solving that world problem at the root. When you click PocketChange you are giving to the cause/charity, not the individual who posted about it. This is because we believe organic content can be the most inspiring, and we want you to be able to support causes on content you already love to read.
Example: Your friend shares a post about the Bee Movie, you click PocketChange and can support Pollinator Protection to instantly support Pollinator Partnership the charity.
We target genuine inspiration and break all barriers towards action in the moment you care most. Round ups target the moment you are paying for something else, and opt you into adding more money. While this is a great fundraising tool, we focus our energy on self empowerment so giving is something you are excited about rather than guilted into. You have the power to care, we just provide you the PocketChange tool to facilitate that.
Right now, you cannot write off PocketChange donations on your taxes. This is due to a couple reasons.
- For donations to be tax deductible your donations need to be directly transferred from you to a 501c3 charity organization. Given how PocketChange functions, your donation will sent to PocketChange first, and then directed to the charity. Which means each donation to that charity will not be directly linked to you personally in their reports, but rather through PocketChange. You can track your giving on your profile.
- Your donation amounts are a lot smaller than the industry standard. While we want to enable tax deductible giving, the money you would receive back on donations are far too minimal with $0.25 donation for it to be worth the filing and transferring of those documents for every micro-donation. In the future, we want to launch a 501c3 organization. This will allow us to recognize your individual payments as donations directly to a 501c3 and allow tax deductible giving on that.
No. However, we do not take ANY money from your transaction. We are a for-profit organization for three reasons:
- To keep PocketChange rapidly growing so we can fund innovative methods empower all people through our technology. We want to solve problems across the nonprofit industry exponential world impact through our empowering technology.
- To focus on a sustainable revenue model allowing us to grow through brand partnerships to increase impact and the number of people caring about causes. This is much more sustainable than taking a fee of money from donations as is standard for other companies in the industry.
- To create massive change in the world by supporting the organization’s truly making it happen while investing in innovative methods to do just that.
We use AI technology to predict 5 causes a piece of text may be talking about. Our data set gets more accurate as more people use the tool, so keep on giving!
A chrome extensions is an app that modifies your browser experience. We add the “PocketChange Button” to your browser so you can always feel empowered!
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We partner with socially aligned brands to empower consumers and people around various cause areas. If you are a brand that wants to grow while also demonstrating to consumers you truly care, join the PocketChange movement! We have various brand packages that allow donation matching, filling consumer accounts, events & more!
Right now, the only non-profit 501c3’s PocketChange enables on our platform are the ones selected through our proprietary process. (How we select charities)
We want to enable independent charities to utilize the PocketChange platform in a couple different ways in the near future.