COVID-19: Food Security
World Central Kitchen
Established in 2012
Mission Statement: World Central Kitchen uses the power of food to empower communities and strengthen economies.
Maximizing your PocketChange
For every dollar spent…
Impacts & Achievements:
Some of the highlights
CEO Salary: 1.78% of expenses
- WCK is already serving over 100,000 meals a day to the communities hit hardest by Covid-19.
- WCK is already working with partners all across the country serving meals to schoolchildren, the elderly, frontline medical workers, and more.
- WCK is currently expanding their Covid-19 efforts across the world.
- In 2018 alone, WCK served over 2,105,000 meals globally.
- In 2018, after serving 3.7 million meals in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, ECK conducted an agricultural assessment of Puerto Rico. They determined that the best way to continue “feeding and island” and supporting Puerto Rico was to support Puerto Rico’s smallholder farmers. They did this through their Plow to Plate program and granted $547,000.
- In 2019, $763,000 was given to 46 Plow to Plate grantees in Puerto Rico.
How World Central Kitchen is making a difference
Delivering Fresh Meals:
WCK is working across America to safely distribute individually packaged fresh meals in communities that need support, for children and families to pick up and take home, as well as delivered to seniors who cannot venture outside. We’re now serving over 100,000 meals daily in New York City, Washington DC, Little Rock, Los Angeles, Newark, Oakland, San Francisco, New Orleans, Miami, Puerto Rico, and USVI — with more to come.
Feeding Frontline Healthcare Workers:
The idea is simple: Support local hospital clinicians who are working in wartime-like conditions and support local restaurants who have been impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. WCK has joined forces with initiatives across America to deliver fresh, hot meals to hospitals and clinics fighting on the frontlines
Putting Restaurants Back to Work:
WCK is in the process of integrating into our food relief efforts restaurants and meal delivery companies so we have large-scale, distributed reach, while also supporting the industries that are suffering. At the same time thousands of restaurants are closing and laying off workers, there exists massive demand to feed children, seniors, and at-risk populations. It’s time to put restaurants back to work in service to our country.
#ChefsForAmerica is evolving into a coalition of restaurants and tech companies working together to provide meals to Americans that need assistance. This nationwide, scalable effort will feed those in need, as well as guarantee a reliable and recurring stream of revenue for restaurants that are prepared to safely produce nutritious meals — and provide income to delivery drivers.
Mapping Feeding Efforts:
In order to take action, we need to know what’s happening and where gaps exist. There is incredible work going on across America to feed students, seniors, and vulnerable communities. We are mapping out all of the school districts, restaurants offering meals to those in need, and organizations working to keep people fed.