COVID-19: Medical Supplies
Established in 1948
Mission Statement: Direct Relief is on a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies – without regard to politics, religion, or ability to pay.
Maximizing your PocketChange
For every dollar spent…
Impacts & Achievements:
Some of the highlights
CEO Salary: 0.03% of expenses
- So far for Covid-19, they have donated 1,375,423 masks, 2,485,500 gloves, 81,071 gowns and coveralls, and 72 tons of medical aid.
- There are currently 961 institutions receiving protective equipment from Direct Relief for frontline healthcare workers.
- They’ve already made 968 deliveries to 32 countries.
- In 2017, Direct Relief distributed 283,490,741 products to help peoples around the world.
- The total value of in-kind materials donated: $924 million.
- Direct relief was named “10 Most Innovative Nonprofits” by FastCompany, “Top 10 U.S. Charities” by Forbes, and “Top Charities Changing the World” by CNBC.
- In 2017, Direct Relief continued to their goal of expanding access & quality health care for millions of people around the world. They operated across every major continent, delivering 13,547 shipments of humanitarian material aid to 86 countries, and all 50 U.S. states.
How Direct Relief is making a difference
Supporting Health Workers:
Direct Relief has already donated 1,375,423 masks, 2,485,500 gloves, 81,071 gowns and coveralls, and 489,162 other items for personal protective equipment.
They have also donated Personal Protective Equipment to 32 countries so far and given a total of 72 tons of medical aid to 961 institutions
Strengthening General Medical Support:
Much of Direct Relief’s activity in the U.S. is to ensure people who are least fortunate have access to medications to manage their chronic conditions. The anticipated huge pressure anticipated in U.S. hospitals makes it even more important to ensure that people continue to manage their chronic conditions like hypertension, diabetes, and asthma..
Bolstering Critical Care Capacity:
Direct Relief has built an ICU medications estimator to build the correct stockpilesThey are working with the American Hospital Association and medical manufacturers to gather supplies. Direct Relief has purchased hundreds of oxygen concentrators to have available for COVID-19 patients who may need oxygen supplementation during their recovery. Oxygen concentrators can free up ICU beds by allowing patients to recover after they’ve been discharged while still receiving breathing assistance
Direct Relief is collaborating with infectious disease epidemiologists and technology companies to use aggregated mobility data to support the COVID-19 response (to see how well social distancing interventions are working.)