International Center for Research on Women
Established in 1976
Mission Statement: Anchored in the principle of human dignity, ICRW advances gender equity, inclusion and the alleviation of poverty worldwide. To this end, ICRW works with non-profit, government and private sector partners to conduct research, develop and guide strategy and build capacity to promote evidence-based policies, programs and practices.
Maximizing your PocketChange
For every dollar spent…
Impacts & Achievements:
Some of the highlights
CEO Salary: 3.2% of expenses
ICRW currently employes 106 professional staff.
ICRW testified at a U.S. Senate briefing on global efforts to end child marriage at the request of Senator Marco Rubio.
In 2016, ICRW created ICRW Advisors which is their mission-driven consulting practice that helps businesses, governments, nonprofits and foundations create their own effective gender strategies and programs. They partnered with Gap Inc., providing strategic support to the P.A.C.E. team as it works to reach 1 million women working in garment factories throughout Asia and the Middle East by 2020.
ICRW has been working with partners in Uganda on grassroots strategies to address gender-based violence.
In Kenya, ICRW is evaluating efforts to increase access to reproductive health services for adolescents.
How ICRW is making a difference
Partnership with Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG)
- For 40 years, ICRW has been at the forefront of generating evidence for effective policies and programs to prevent and respond to VAWG.
- The ICRW’s work has brought into sharper focus the gendered dimensions of VAWG, including the key social and structural factors that place women and girls at risk of violence.
- ICRW has produced seminal work on VAWG, including all forms of intimate partner violence, coerced and forced sex, public harassment and harmful practices such as female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C) and child marriage.
Men and International Center for Research on Women
- ICRW is at the forefront of efforts to transform unequal and harmful social norms that undermine the well-being of women and girls, as well as men and boys.
- The ICRW collaborates with partners to conduct research and policy analysis on the role men and boys play in empowering women and achieving gender equality.
Health and Rights
ICRW is generating a better understanding of the challenges that women, girls, men and boys face in exercising their sexual and reproductive rights.