Established in 1996
Mission Statement: Playworks helps schools and community organizations bring out the best in kids through play.
Maximizing your PocketChange
For every dollar spent…
Impacts & Achievements:
Some of the highlights
CEO Salary: 0.004% of expenses
- By the end of 2020, Playworks will have helped 3.5 million children in over 7000 different schools experience safe and healthy play.
- 98% of staff saw an increase in the number of students who were physically active thanks to Playworks programs.
- Awarded first AmeriCorps contract in 2004 to help connect adults with children who need to play.
- In 2009, Playworks hosted “Play On,” the first-ever national conference on play.
- In 2010, Playworks was invited to join the First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move initiative.
- 96% of staff report more student engagement in academics thanks to Playworks programming.
- 94% of students were better at conflict resolution thanks to Playworks.
- Recognized as top “Changemaker” by Ashoka and Nike in 2010.
How Playworks is making a difference
The Playworks coaching program works directly with low-income schools to develop and lead a system of play that makes a positive impact on students. Full-time and part-time coaches help to encourage this play every single day through four main channels: Recess Time, Junior Coach Leadership, Class Game Time and Interscholastic/Developmental Sports Leagues.
Playworks Pro provides sustainable training and development for educators and staff to ensure that students are supported in their play throughout the entire year. Playworks offers workshops that teach these strategies that help schools provide effective playtime for all students. Group Management, Game Facilitation, and Indoor Recess Design are just a few examples of key tools that Playworks Pro teaches to help staff feel empowered in supporting their students in play.
Beyond the coaches themselves, Playworks offers professional assistance to ensure that programs are being run effectively and producing positive results. The Playworks TeamUp program sends a site coordinator to your school for a full week to analyze and support your recess programs in place. If you’re not quite ready for a full TeamUp program, Recess Reboot is a short-term consulting option offered by Playworks that provides similar capacity building advice for only four days.
PlayworksU Online Learning:
PlayworksU Online Learning is a series of online courses that help school teams use effective, research-backed practices to help play support learning. Playworks focuses on Safety, Engagement, and Empowerment, helping students discover the joy of physical activity, build social and emotional skills, and come back to class ready to learn—all through play.