Center on Addiction
Established in 1992
Mission Statement: At Center on Addiction, we are on a mission to transform how our nation addresses addiction. We are the only national nonprofit committed to supporting the whole family as they address every aspect of substance use and addiction, from prevention to recovery.
Maximizing your PocketChange
For every dollar spent…
Impacts & Achievements:
Some of the highlights
CEO Salary: 6.54% of expenses
- 260 published articles by Center on Addiction researchers helping influence policymakers, health professionals, families, and those struggling with addiction.
- Helps educate the public about addiction in many forms, including lending expertise to news outlets such as the New York Times, CNN, NBC News, Dateline, The Today Show, and many more.
- In 2018, they built a model with Houston Council on Recovery that prevented substance abuse with adolescents, and now that model is being scaled across the country.
- In 2017, they built a screening methodology that in that year alone was used 270,000 times, and lead to a 440% increase in abstinence from alcohol and illegal drugs.
- Center on Addiction developed the highly acclaimed LOCADTR tool, which has now been used over 1,000,000 times to get people the treatment they needed.
- In 2018 alone, Center on Addiction met with over 60 policymakers – including the Surgeon General, senators, representatives from congress and more, building relationships and making sure they are adopting health-based approaches to addiction.
- They co-hosted a summit at John Hopkins, convening addiction experts and lawmakers to present viable solutions to the opioid crisis and addiction as a whole. Many of those solutions are now being pushed forward and implemented.
How Center on Addiction is making a difference
Family therapy is one of the most effective ways to treat substance abuse. Unfortunately, this process is rarely used effectively. This is why the Center on Addiction has helped to standardize the approach towards family therapy, creating a high-quality baseline for training and programming in the family support area.
Shape Public Policy:
By closely tracking legislation and actively advocating lawmakers on the importance of prevention, Center on Addiction seeks to impact the cause of substance abuse at both federal and state levels. Center on Addiction puts policy at the forefront to ensure that our leaders are supporting this cause and educating them on viable solutions and techniques for fighting addiction.
Advance Effective Care:
Center on Addiction works directly within the healthcare system to ensure that all people receiving medical care for addiction are treated effectively. The Technical Assistance Center in New York is just one example of what the Center on Addiction has built in order to improve the quality of care that patients receive.
Through a recent merger with Partnership for Drug Free Kids, these two cause leaders are focused on conducting research that seeks to empower families to support loved ones, advance effective care, and shape public policy, the Center on Addiction seeks to transform the way the nation addresses the issue of substance abuse.